NB: Charts culled from BBC article [see link below].
- Governments across the world are looking to nuclear power to meet growing energy demand (and energy security) while reducing the CO2 emissions
- Making the case for nuclear power: costs vs other alternatives
- World electricity generation- 1990-2010
- Comparison to guaranteed prices for renewables
- Article notes though that:
“… factoring in the costs of construction, nuclear is far from the cheapest energy source available. In fact, in Europe it is more expensive than coal and gas, even when factoring in a price for carbon. It is also more expensive than onshore wind and, in many countries, solar, and the cost of these renewable energies is coming down fast.”
Original article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30919045